Old July 17th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

JNugent wrote:
Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

[ ... ]

... If you want to discredit speed
limits, then give examples of where they're set too low or too
high, rather than criticising signing policy.

How about 40mph on the M4?

And no, I am not referring temporary limit at a set of roadworks
(even though 40 is still extracting the urine a bit, even at
roadworks). I am speaking of a permanent limit of 40mph on part of
the M4.

Do you not agree that such a limit is *way too low* on a motorway?

You're presumably referring to the elevated section of the M4 in London,
which has 2 lanes per carriageway, no hard shoulder, and very heavy
traffic flows. This is not a typical motorway, though I felt that the
previous 50mph limit here was adequate. Anyone know what the accident
rate was on this section before the 40 limit was imposed?

--
Richard J.