Old July 17th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tfp ntl tfp ntl is offline

Default Vistor to London

" 1) What's a good central area to stay in? We've identified some motels in
Paddington, Kings Cross, or Victoria. Would someone care to comment on
these locations?

pretty standard areas for tourists on a budget, not the most upmarket parts
of London, if I had a choice I would probably forget Kings Cross, pretty run
down, some street crime, Paddington has good and bad parts, Victoria is in
walking distance of the river, Buckingham Palace, nice parks and all the
touristy bits.

2) We'll be travelling around London for about 4.5 days - what's the
cheapest way to travel. Oyster 7-day pass looks ok. Or, buy individual

day
passes? Has anyone used the Travel Pass? Any comments?

Others will be better placed to comment on this, as I local I don't buy
these tickets.

3) When we get to Stansted, what would be the best way to London. Coach,
Rail, or... ?

Well if you go for Victoria then one of these coach services will take you
direct to Victoria Coach Station.. train will involve a taxi from Liverpool
Street station to get to either of the three areas you mention, or a tube
with stairs, escalators, etc. to navigate with heavy bags. Coach may take
longer because of traffic etc. but could be almost door to door if you stay
in Victoria. (Suspect coach will work out cheaper a well)

http://www.nationalexpress.com/nxairport/airports.cfm

http://www.terravision.it/london.html

Have a look at this map.. Coach station is just left of centre, Buckingham
Palace just off the top edge (where it says Royal Mews) and Westminster off
right.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...178780&A=Y&Z=1

Sure others will have a million more ideas for you... enjoy London..!!