Old July 17th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Annabel Smyth wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 at 14:40:32, JNugent
wrote:

And no, I am not referring temporary limit at a set of roadworks
(even though 40 is still extracting the urine a bit, even at
roadworks). I am speaking of a permanent limit of 40mph on part of
the M4.

Do you not agree that such a limit is *way too low* on a motorway?

Not on that particular section of the M4 - it does keep traffic
moving, and has enabled them to extend the 60 mph section much
farther back (it used to be 50 mph right out to Slough,
practically).

IIRC the limit (eastbound) used to be 70 until about just west of the
elevated section, then 50. When the bus lane was introduced, the limit
became 50 from junction 4 (Heathrow T123), then 40 from half a mile
before the elevated section. The 50 limit has now been raised to 60,
and still starts at j.4. I think that it was the limit from j.4 that
smoothed out the traffic flow (and not, as the government would like to
think, the bus lane).

Westbound, the 70 limit starts immediately after the elevated section,
and always has done.

--
Richard J.