Old July 17th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default South Ken to Albert Hall Railway?

When walking through the tunnel under Exhibition Road, from South Ken
station, I have often thought how very much like a small rail tunnel it
seems.

Now I have just come across an 1873 map (Collins' Standard Map of
London) in which the tunnel is shown extended NW under Prince Consort
Road to terminate at the Royal Albert Hall - and the route is marked as
a "railway under construction".

Does anyone know anything about this? Was it to be a short branch off
the District, or a self-contained shuttle? To compound the mystery ...

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/estatespro...nel_safety.htm

.... mentions a tunnel complex under the South Ken campus of Imperial
College. Is this part of the same system?
--
Paul Terry