Old July 18th 04, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Tindale Ian Tindale is offline

Default Maps of London on the internet

wrote:

Ian Tindale wrote:
Graham Hick wrote:

Have a look at Canary Wharf, specifically the developments around
Heron Quays. Streetmap.co.uk does not show Bank Street, Upper Bank
Street, etc. But multimap.com does.

Unfortunately, multimap seem to be illiterate ****wits. Even after
pointing out several times that they can't spell Beckton Park correctly
(and despite it being spelled correctly on map graphic directly above
their error), they've entirely failed to take on board my correction.
Given their incorrect attitude toward accuracy, I now refuse to use them.

I've read that some mapmakers put deliberate mistakes into their
maps so they can catch copyists -- who'd make the same few mistakes
out of the many thousands of details in a map? If so, you may
be asking them to change one of their signatures, which may explain
their reluctance to fix it. Alternatively, they may just be
$GENERIC_INSULT.

But: As I said, the map is correct. It is their spelling of Beckton Park
that is incorrect. The map has it spelled correctly.

--
Ian Tindale