Old July 19th 04, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
paul paul is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

In article ,
says...
JNugent wrote:

The Chiswick section of M4 was designed and built to be
operated at no speed limit whatsoever - though it had the
national 70 limit imposed soon after opening.

You can't design a road for "no speed limit whatsoever". Britain's
motorways were generally designed for 70 mph, but it's obvious that the
first bend on the M4 going west was designed to a lower standard. I
thought the 50 mph limit on that stretch was imposed from first opening,
BICBW.

My understanding (based on dubious discussionswith policemen friends of
mine!) is that the motorway network in the uk is disigned for safe
travel within lanes upto 120mph. Greater speeds are safelypossible with
the full use of all carrigeways. This assumes good road conditions, and
competent drivers capable of accessing when it is safe to travel at
these speeds. This later point is why we have a maximum speed limit of
70mph on British roads.
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.