Old July 19th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
paul paul is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

In article ,
says...
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:46:58 +0100, "Paul Weaver"
wrote in message
:

GErman Autobahns seem to throw that out of the window. Sure you can't

design
a road for "no speed whatsoever", but theres no need for a limit on many
roads. At least that's what the most populous country in Euroep seems to
think.

Have you checked the comparitive fatality figures? Last time I looked
the Autobahn was substantially more dangerous per mile travelled than
our motorways.

Much lower then the states, but a quick gogole doesnt reveal anything. As we
have one of the lowest fatality rates in the world it wouldn't surprise me
if Germany was higher. What if you compare Germany accident rates to Italy
or France though

Oh, and last time I checked they also had limits on the Autobahn.

Only in certain areas (which makes perfect sense to me, 100mph on the M5 as
it joins in M6 is probably not a great idea, 100mph on the M5 from Exeter up
to Bristol is generally fine)

Most of the system is limitless (for cars)

Oh, and last time I checked, their other roads do have speed limits.

Yes they do. Of course they have a decent autobahn system which means people
only travel in towns and on small roads when they are near their
destination. This of course reduces traffic in and arround towns, and
therfore accident rates.

you are Paul s***h and ICMFP
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.