Old July 19th 04, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

paul wrote:
In article ,
says...
JNugent wrote:

The Chiswick section of M4 was designed and built to be
operated at no speed limit whatsoever - though it had the
national 70 limit imposed soon after opening.

You can't design a road for "no speed limit whatsoever". Britain's
motorways were generally designed for 70 mph, but it's obvious
that the first bend on the M4 going west was designed to a lower
standard. I thought the 50 mph limit on that stretch was imposed
from first opening, BICBW.

My understanding (based on dubious discussionswith policemen
friends of mine!) is that the motorway network in the uk is
disigned for safe travel within lanes upto 120mph.

I think you mean 120 kph.
--
Richard J.