Old July 19th 04, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Michael MacClancy Michael MacClancy is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 00:52:59 GMT, Gawnsoft wrote:

Oh, and last time I checked they also had limits on the Autobahn.

Only in certain areas

i.e. round about junctions...

(which makes perfect sense to me, 100mph on the M5 as
it joins in M6 is probably not a great idea, 100mph on the M5 from Exeter up
to Bristol is generally fine)

Most of the system is limitless (for cars)

But the Germans are now seriously discussing restricting all autobahn.

As with many things, the situation with Autobahn speed limits is not as
simple as it first seems.

There are many stretches of Autobahn with speed limits. Speed limits are
often applied to reduce noise at night in urban areas and in potentially
dangerous situations such as long, steep downhills or on very bendy roads.
Variable speed limits are becoming more common, particularly on stretches
with fog risk. The vicinity of junctions is often limited. Being as
limits are common on the busiest Autobahns there's an element of truth in
saying that a very considerable proportion of Autobahn driving is done on
speed regulated sections.

A further complication is the existence of a recommended speed limit of
130kph throughout the system (where not otherwise limited). Drivers
exceeding this limit who are involved in accidents are often held to be
partially liable for the accident even though they have not broken the law.
They have to prove that the accident would not have occurred had they been
driving at 130kph.

This means that even where there is not a statutory speed limit on German
Autobahns personal liability and insurance considerations apply downward
pressure on the top speeds.

Also, most of the Autobahn network is two lane and there's plenty of
slow-moving traffic so it's often difficult to reach high speeds.

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness