Old July 19th 04, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 at 00:13:36, paul
wrote:

My understanding (based on dubious discussionswith policemen friends of
mine!) is that the motorway network in the uk is disigned for safe
travel within lanes upto 120mph. Greater speeds are safelypossible with
the full use of all carrigeways. This assumes good road conditions, and
competent drivers capable of accessing when it is safe to travel at
these speeds. This later point is why we have a maximum speed limit of
70mph on British roads.

I heard once that the police agree that motorways would be safe enough
at 80 mph (bringing them into line with their Continental counterparts),
but that they don't wish the speed limit to be increased since everybody
drives at 80 anyway, and if the speed limit were 80, everybody would
drive at 90, which they don't think is safe.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 18 July 2004