Old July 19th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Michael MacClancy Michael MacClancy is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:00:37 +0100, Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 at 17:45:49, JNugent
wrote:

Annabel Smyth wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:

GErman Autobahns seem to throw that out of the window. Sure you
can't design a road for "no speed whatsoever", but theres no need
for a limit on many roads. At least that's what the most populous
country in Euroep seems to think.

Er, I hate to tell you but the maximum speed limit on a German
motorway is normally 130 kph.

Er, I hate to have to tell you that you are wrong.

Well, I can assure you that this is the case between the border at
Strasbourg and the other border at Salzburg! Or, it was so last
October, anyway; perhaps they have changed it within the last 9 months?

Sorry Annabel but you shouldn't conclude that the maximum speed limit on a
German motorway is normally 130 kph on the basis of a journey between
Strasbourg and Salzburg.

I assume you took the A5/A8? (I was on the A8 only two weeks ago.) It's
certainly true that large stretches of the A8 have speed limits. This is
because it's one of the oldest, busiest and most dangerous Autobahns. You
will have noticed how hilly it is, how many bends it has and that long
sections lack hard shoulders and adequate acceleration lanes.

If you'd been on another Autobahn (e.g. turned onto the A7 at Ulm) you'd
have encountered something quite different.
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder