Old July 19th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Ambrose Nankivell Ambrose Nankivell is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

In om,
Paul Weaver typed:
Michael Hoffman
wrote in message news:Pine.WNT.4.58.0407190031400.1288@ZVAVZBB...
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Paul Weaver wrote:

As we have one of the lowest fatality rates in the world it wouldn't
surprise me if Germany was higher. What if you compare Germany
accident rates to Italy or France though

There's some 2002 data he

http://www.bast.de/htdocs/fachthemen...glish/we2.html

Motorway is about 33% higher then the UK, yet lower then France,
Finland, Beligum, Ireland, Japan, etc. - which all have speed limits
not far removed from ours (typically 120kph or 75mph)

All those countries have death rates higher than ours to start with (not
much higher in the case of Japan, and France's is plummetting towards our
levels).

I guess correlating those figures would give a better suggestion, but would
require getting the speed limit data as well. Might be interesting for
someone with the time.