Old July 20th 04, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Dave Larrington Dave Larrington is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Steph Peters wrote:

Another consideration is that Autobahn speed limits are perceived to
be actively enforced. One of my German friends was caught by a camera
exceeding a limit, fined and is apparently at risk of losing her
licence for a repeat offence. Everyone else's view on her being
caught was that it is a totally routine event and caused no surprise.
In contrast, although I have UK acquaintances who have been caught
speeding, I can't remember any caught on a motorway, although I know
a lot more UK motorists than German ones.

They certainly seem to be more rather more conscientious about obeying the
limit on the restricted bits. Notably at roadworks.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/