Old July 26th 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Redonda Redonda is offline

Default Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych'

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Redonda) wrote:

snip
Not in the UK. -steel here.

And '-stile' in America.

Not so. My brother, sister-in-law and nephew all live there. The

North
Americans seem to have fewer problems with the name than the

British.

The Americans I met while living in Berlin (including the 3 I shared
an apartment with) always pronounced 'ie' as 'eye' for example they
called Riesling (wine) 'rye-sling'. Maybe it's regional (my American
friends were mostly from California) or proper names don't follow
general usage?

--

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (