Old July 20th 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Crossrail & ELLX going ahead

I'm amazed no-one has yet mentioned the Future of Transport paper and
statement by our Darling today.

Crossrail has been approved, with a Hybrid Bill to deposited in
parliament as soon as possible - BUT funding has NOT yet been agreed.
The government "will work with the Mayor and London businesses" to agree
funding.

Perhaps more positively, the East London Line Extensions, which already
have planning permission, now also have a funding agreement - TfL's
£2.9bn borrowing plans for the period up to 2009/10 have been approved.
These plans include construction of the ELLX so we can be reasonably
sure that this project is going ahead.

The borrowing plans also cover the DLR extension to Woolwich, DLR
capacity enhancement, East London Transit and Greenwich Waterfront
Transit, which therefore all have the go-ahead subject to successful
consultation.

In other news, everyone else in the country is going to be extremely
upset at London as tram projects in Manchester, Leeds and South
Hampshire have been axed. The only real good news for them is that local
authorities will be given greater bus franchising powers.

I should also mention national road user pricing - DfT wants to develop
it on a local level before going national with it (although that could
take 15 years' time anyway).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7