Old July 21st 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Jackman David Jackman is offline

Default Yellow Boxes

"Richard J." wrote in
:

Paul Weaver wrote:
I'm a little unsure about the law on box junctions. As I understand
it you can enter a box junction when turning right if the road you
are turning into is clear and when oncoming traffic stops you can
proceed.

Agreed.

What happenes if this road then fills up as you are waiting (by
oncoming cars turning left)?

The law doesn't seem to cover that circumstance, and while it might seem
unfair, the law as written seems to say that it's an offence to remain
on the yellow box after oncoming traffic has cleared. The text is at
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm . (Search for "box
junction".)

On the Clerkenwell Road at Farringdon Lane is a yellow box junction
followed immediately by a Pelican crossing. I bet that isn't covered by
the rules either.