Old July 21st 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Every time I have to go to Heathrow...

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Barry
Salter writes
The TfL Journey Planner suggests several routes:

[...]
2) Northern Line to Stockwell
Victoria Line to Victoria
Circle/District Line to South Kensington
Piccadilly Line to Heathrow

Difficult change at South Kensington; gawd knows why it's suggested
that one.

Presumably because it's the fastest journey starting at the time quoted
for departure from Balham. Changing to the District at South Ken gets
you on to the Piccadilly at the earliest opportunity, avoiding the often
slow District progress around Earl's Court*, and missing out West
Kensington. Of course it's less convenient than Barons Court or
Hammersmith if you have heavy luggage. The Journey Planner has "Least
Walking" and "Least Interchange" options; perhaps it should also have a
"heavy luggage" option.

* especially if there's a change of driver at Earl's Court, though the
Journey Planner probably isn't that clever.
--
Richard J.