Old July 21st 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Jackman David Jackman is offline

Default Montague Report on Crossrail

"Jonn Elledge" wrote in
:

"David Jackman" wrote in message
52.50...

This leaves the Maryland problem (note that Maryland does not appear
on any of the Crossrail maps ...)

Does anybody know what they might be? About a year ago CLRL ltd sent me
an email assuring me that Maryland would continue to be served by other
services, but I can't see it if all the inner suburbans are going to go
to Crossrail. Is there a plan to use spare capacity at Liverpool Street
to take some of the Tilbury line trains via Woodgrange Park that I
don't know about? (I would have thought Liverpool Street - Stratford -
Barking - Rainham - Tilbury could potentially be quite popular).

Or are they planning to close Maryland - and if so, why? Is to too
close to the planned portal, or do they just not think it's important
enough to add an extra minute to the journey?

Jonn Elledge

Crossrail trains will be 10 cars. Maryland only has room for 8 with no
room to extend at either end (there are road bridges). Therefore Crossrail
trains can't serve Maryland.

I can see three possible solutions to this problem:

a) (Crossrails stated proposal) A "rump" service - presumably either Gidea
Park/Ilford to Liverpool Street, serving Maryland. The slow lines
currently have slightly more than 12 trains per hour in the peak so this
makes sense, though it would be less than ideal operationally. Off-peak it
is a nonsense.

b) Fit selective door opening and stop Crossrail services but only open the
doors on the front 8 cars. (the 375 fleet in Kent makes extensive use of
selective door opening, as does the existing underground, so there are
plenty of precedents)

c) Close Maryland.

David