Old July 21st 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin Colin is offline

Default Montague Report on Crossrail

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Martin
Whelton wrote:
Besides the Kingston link will go
through an area notorious for middle class articulate whingers who
have already started on certain aspects of the scheme and will no
cause untold misery if anything get's in their way.

If there is a town in Japan called Kamikaze, perhaps Richmond upon
Thames could be twinned with it. Crossrail is/was a golden opportunity
for the Borough but everywhere people only see problems, not benefits
and opportunities.

Mind you, as I pointed out a while back, the main line goes through
Surbiton because 1830's Kingstonians fought hard to keep it out and so
protect their coaching trade.

--
Tony Bryer

I have to agree. And it always seems to be retired / semi-retired people
with too much time on their hands that do the whinging. I guess these people
much prefer the District line to go shopping in Kensington / Chelsea than
they would benefit from being able to get to (god forbid) EAST LONDON!

The people who would really benefit from being able to get to work in the
City / Docklands unfortunately are too busy with their work to spend their
spare time making representations.

Crossrail from Twickenham would have been one reason for me to consider
staying around here in the long term. If it doesn't materialise the chances
of me moving somewhere else have dramatically increased.