Old July 26th 03, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych'

"Redonda" wrote in message
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Redonda) wrote:

snip
Not in the UK. -steel here.

And '-stile' in America.

Not so. My brother, sister-in-law and nephew all live there. The

North
Americans seem to have fewer problems with the name than the

British.

The Americans I met while living in Berlin (including the 3 I shared
an apartment with) always pronounced 'ie' as 'eye' for example they
called Riesling (wine) 'rye-sling'. Maybe it's regional (my American
friends were mostly from California) or proper names don't follow
general usage?

Americans have great problems with names such as Cecil ("SEE-sul" rather
than "SESS-ul") and Bernard ("ber-NARD" rather than "BERN-ud"). And then
you've got names like Zellweger which they pronounce as spelled rather than
"TSELL-vayg-air". But I'd have problems with many US names of American
Indian origin, so I suppose we're about honours even!

What's the correct pronunciation of Braun, as in the name of the
manufacturer of kitchen appliances - "Brawn" or "Brown" (the latter being
the German pronunciation).