Old August 10th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default Metropolitan Line Questions

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Chorley Wood

Does anybody know why the London Underground station signs have the name

of
the town wrong? EVERYBODY else (inc OS, post office, road signs) all have
it as one word. The only place I've noticed it as two is on the station
signs. Even the LU maps have it as one.

ITYF that it is historical. AIUI it used to be Chorley Wood many many moons
ago but it has morphed into Chorleywood over the years. The enamel station
signs are now forty years old, no doubt as they are replaced the newer form
of the name will be used (actually, now that I think about it, don't some of
the newer signs under the station canopies read CHORLEYWOOD?).