Old August 10th 04, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Metropolitan Line Questions

Jack Taylor wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Chorley Wood

Does anybody know why the London Underground station signs have
the name of the town wrong? EVERYBODY else (inc OS, post office,
road signs) all have it as one word. The only place I've noticed
it as two is on the station signs. Even the LU maps have it as one.

ITYF that it is historical. AIUI it used to be Chorley Wood many
many moons ago but it has morphed into Chorleywood over the years.
The enamel station signs are now forty years old, no doubt as they
are replaced the newer form of the name will be used (actually, now
that I think about it, don't some of the newer signs under the
station canopies read CHORLEYWOOD?).

The name changed from Chorley Wood to Chorleywood in 1964, 40 years ago,
so the old signs are likely to be older than that. All the old signs
should be in (old) Johnston type. Any with Chorley Wood in New Johnston
would be in error.
--
Richard J.