Old August 11th 04, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Alex Terrell Alex Terrell is offline

Default CTRL to benefit Kent: What services?

(Aidan Stanger) wrote in message ...
Alex Terrell wrote:

Thinking about this, I now agree - forget running CrossRail trains
through the CTRL. But what domestic services should be run through the
CTRL from 2007? After all, operators should start to order rolling
stock about now.

There was a consultation about this last year. The SRA had identified
the core service destinations as Gravesend, Canterbury West and
Folkestone Central, and were seeking views on extending it to Rainham,
Faversham, Ramsgate (either way) or Maidstone West. Service frequency
was to be 8tph peak, 4tph offpeak.

Does that mean 8 tph to Gravesend, then 4 tph to Canterbury West and 4
to Folkstone Central? That would mean a lot of people travelling to
these stations to get to London.

I suppose they didn't look at splitting trains? They can even do that
with TGVs.

I suggested:

Peak:
4tph Rochester via Gravesend
2tph Dover via Folkestone
2tph Ramsgate via Canterbury

Offpeak:
2tph Ramsgate via Gravesend
2tph Dover and Ramsgate (splitting at Ashford)

I pointed out that the Amtrak Metroliners had proved decades ago that
front doors weren't incompatible with high speeds, and they passed that
info on to the train manufacturers.

I also put a case for converting the Maidstone West line to light rail,
and (after A2 capacity is freed up by the opening of the Lower Thames
Crossing) taking over 2 lanes of the A2 to extend it to Ebbsfleet.

Not sure I follow. The Lower Thames Crossing was only proposed, not
planned. (It might be needed as more people try and drive to
Ebbsfleet.) Why can't the existing line go from Ebbsfleet to
Gravesend, through the Strood tunnel, and on to Maidstone West,
Paddock Wood, and Tonbridge.

Do you know whether any action is being taken? On the CTRL website I
see no mention of a connection with the North Kent line.