Old August 11th 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Routemaster lament

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 at 09:58:02, Stuart
wrote:

Proper buses that are cramped and uncomfortable.

Never mind the infirm, those of us over 6 foot can't use them properly!

Give me a bendy bus any day

I mourn the demise of the conductor - and that is one of the main
reasons for the demise of the Routemaster. Cost, I mean - cheaper to
pay one person than two. Granted RMs are awkward for pushchairs, and
impossible for wheelchair-users, but those who have other forms of
disability used to be able to rely on a helping hand from the conductor,
who would get them on and see them safely seated before allowing the bus
to move off. Sigh....

I do agree, though, they are rather low in the ceiling (at 5'8", I have
to bend, on the upper deck!). But no, not bendy buses - they make me
feel sick, and there is no upper deck to go on where one can see where
one is going....
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 7 August 2004 - for a limited time, be bored by my holiday