Old August 11th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Metropolitan Line Questions

In message , Adrian
writes
Matthew P Jones ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Chorley Wood.
Chorley Wood.
Chorley Wood

Does anybody know why the London Underground station signs have the name of
the town wrong? EVERYBODY else (inc OS, post office, road signs) all have
it as one word. The only place I've noticed it as two is on the station
signs. Even the LU maps have it as one.

I was staggered yesterday when I used Hillingdon Station for the first
time to find that the signs still give the suffix (Swakeley's). I
thought that that went years ago and certainly with the rebuilding there
you can't blame it on old signs.

Incidentally, it took me three trains from Hillingdon to Baker Street.
The signalling problems caused my train to be terminated at Harrow on
the Hill. We waited there while another five trains also terminated
before one came going through to Baker Street. (All the time, though,
the announcements were clear, frequent and informative.)

We eventually boarded the "Baker Street" train only for *that* to be
terminated at Wembley Park. So everyone piled onto the Jubilee and I
decided to go to Saint John's Wood (my afternoon destination) early
instead. Everything was sorted out by the time I travelled back,
though.

--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for