Old August 11th 04, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Routemaster lament

In message , Annabel Smyth
writes

I mourn the demise of the conductor - and that is one of the main
reasons for the demise of the Routemaster. Cost, I mean - cheaper to
pay one person than two. Granted RMs are awkward for pushchairs, and
impossible for wheelchair-users, but those who have other forms of
disability used to be able to rely on a helping hand from the conductor,
who would get them on and see them safely seated before allowing the bus
to move off. Sigh....

I do agree, though, they are rather low in the ceiling (at 5'8", I have
to bend, on the upper deck!). But no, not bendy buses - they make me
feel sick, and there is no upper deck to go on where one can see where
one is going....

I rather like bendi-buses; they somehow remind me off camels in the way
they get up from the kerb before they leave..
--
Kat