Old August 11th 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stuart Stuart is offline

Default Routemaster lament

Annabel Smyth wrote:

NO WAY! And yes, I did mean to shout. People get on a Routemaster, sit
down, and then look for their Oyster or their fare. On a 2-door bus,
first of all the driver very often doesn't open the entrance door until
people have finished getting off, and then you have to wait while
everybody faffs around finding their pass or their Oyster, or getting
out a ticket, or even buying one, outside the central zone. Takes far,
far longer than on a RM.

But on a routemaster everyone standing who doesn't want to get off (such
as us 6 footers who can't sit) has to move out the way to let those who
are getting off get off. There is always a bottleneck just inside the
door. The driver of a 2 door bus only holds the front doors when the bus
is full - it's entirely sensible to wait to see how many get off before
letting the same amount on

In Central London there is no faffing to find tickets.... you don't need
money or tickets, just walk straight on and you might get ticket
checked. I agree a conductor would be good, but for fare evasion purposes.