Old August 13th 04, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Alex Terrell Alex Terrell is offline

Default CTRL to benefit Kent: What services?

(Aidan Stanger) wrote in message ...

So 8 tph limited commuter services. That means with 4 Eurostar
services, the CTRL Phase 2 will only be taking 12 tph. They should at
least be extending the Gravesend services to Chatham, and some beyond
to Ramsgate.

They talk about 8 eurostar tph, but can't even fill 3 at the moment,
and for some bizarre reason they want to keep Waterloo International
just to operate a few Eurostar per day.

Really? Last I heard they were planning to close Waterloo International.
Diverting some trains to Waterloo would increase the number of available
paths on the CTRL.

That wan't the plan a year ago, but if they've changed their mind
that's good. Those 4 Waterloo platforms could be useful for long
distance commuters.

There aren't expected to be as many paths available as you think.

But there would if they replace 8 car paths to London Bridge with 12
or 16 Car paths to Stratford and St Pancras.

No, the shortage of paths is on the CTRL, as a lot more people are
expected to start using Eurostars once they run at high speeds all the
way.

They always say that. But lets assume passenger numbers treble. That
would fill six trains per hour.

(snip)
I also put a case for converting the Maidstone West line to light rail,
and (after A2 capacity is freed up by the opening of the Lower Thames
Crossing) taking over 2 lanes of the A2 to extend it to Ebbsfleet.

Not sure I follow. The Lower Thames Crossing was only proposed, not
planned. (It might be needed as more people try and drive to
Ebbsfleet.)

'Tis generally accepted that it will be needed eventually, and ITYF it
is planned, though not in great detail. How long it will be before it
gets built depends on several other factors, including whether the
Thames Gateway Bridge gets built as planned, as both it and the Lower
Thames Crossing would be partly paid for with the revenue from Dartford
tolls.

Lower Thames Crossing is needed now. If London Gateway port goes
ahead, even more so.

So do you still object to my plan to use freed up A2 capacity for a
light rail line from Ebbsfleet to Cuxton, where it would join the
Maidstone line (which would also be converted to light rail).

I don't really know enough, (and live in a different part of Kent) but
it would depend on:
1. Lower Thames Crossing being built
2. Some means to get car commuters to Ebsfleet Park and Ride out of
thir cars

But I still don't see the disadvantage of using the existing N Kent
Line as it serves Ebsfleet and Ebbsfleet, Rochester, Gillingham and
Chatham.
I estimate 1 hour from Tonbridge to St Pancras, compared with about 40
minutes to Waterloo East.

The Maidstone - St.Pancras time is officially estimated to be 46
minutes. The Medway Valley Line is unsuitable for high speed running.

People might use it if they wanted to go from Tunbridge Wells or Tunbridge
to Stratford, or St Pancras if Thameslink 2000 doesn't happen.

'Tis still quicker by Tube.

Only from somewhere South of Maidstone West. And if the line goes
there, then why not Tonbridge. I've never been able to figure out how
to get from Tunbridge Wells to Maidstone by train.

If the CTRL trains ran to Maidstone then they'd have no connection with
the trains to Victoria. However, if they ran via Rochester then they'd
connect with both the Maidstone and East Kent services.

I think there should 4 CTRL tph to Rochester and on to Faversham,
where they should divide for Dover and Dover. As well as 4 tph to
Ashford, where they should split to Ramsgate and Folkstone.

I still think 2 tph to Tonbridge would be good, but if the track can't
take it, then the older trains should run Tonbridge to Dartford. (It
makes no sense to stop at Paddock Wood and Strood).

Buses from Strood are not the answer, as the Medway Bridge is crowded
enough already. Those passengers who want to take the bus can do so from
Maidstone.

Then more train services

Why do you assume they'll only start with the "core service" option?
After all, this consultation provoked several suggestions on how to
operate the service more efficiently.

Let's hope. Have they placed rolling stock orders?