Old August 13th 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Many Birds with One Stone

In message , at 09:10:12 on Fri, 13 Aug
2004, remarked:
Old banger to brand new? Not so different to some bus routes then!

The difference being that if your bus is an old banger the fare's just
the same.

While cars are indeed invaluable in many instances for most people
at some time or another, it isn't true they always outperform PT.

I have never claimed they do. But sometimes it will. eg: 4 people,
Chelmsford to Gatwick, to arrive at 7am [1]. Car wins that every time.

1 person, Chelmsford to Oxford Circus, to arrive at 9am, train wins
every time.

If forced to choose, I'd be crazy to choose the car.

Depends on what journey you are doing.

And I have no idea what your point is re all *people* vs all routes; I
was pointing out the dubious nature of saying that PT is in any sense
single sized. The sizings available may indeed not fit an array of
people, but _single_ sized it isn't[1].

Some people have different requirements from others. Apart from offering
first vs standard class, and bus vs train, there isn't very much choice
for the consumer.

[1] I've chosen this time to give PT *some* chance of competing. Any
earlier, or a Sunday, and it's a walkover.