Old August 13th 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Many Birds with One Stone

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:35:00 +0100, Paul Weaver
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:20:39 -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
Groceries would be tougher, since many of them need to be put in the
refrigerator or freezer upon arrival; I doubt my landlord would go that far.
Unfortunately there's no delivery service in my area, so I drive the 3
blocks to the store every other week.

You'd have to go to the store every day or two if you were carrying food
back.

I manage perfectly well with using the bus and doing a shop at the
weekend only. I happily lug my bags to the stop, catch the bus and then
walk the last bit to my home. I accept it wouldn't be practical for a
huge family shop and only 1 person doing the shopping but I am amazed at
the extent to which people are seemingly unable to go food shopping
without a car. It's a fantastic illusion that the motor industry and
supermarkets have generated to perpetuate each others' trade.

The only food stuff I buy during the week is milk and possibly a treat
or something that I need to get for a particular meal.
--
Paul C