Old August 13th 04, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Oyster anomaly

From: "Chris"
"Boltar" wrote in message
What a load of fuss and bother. WHy the hell didn't LUL implement a
system
whereby you could put a fixed number of DAILY travelcards on your
oyster
so if someone travels somewhere on one day then the next date that
they use
their card one daily card is deducted. Simple and neat.

1. I'm quite happy paying single fares with Oyster. I don't want to be
charged £x per day, I am happy being charged per journey as it is.

And theres no reason that couldn't be available too with the proviso that
people are made aware that the system is not perfect and they could lose
money if they don't leave via a gate.
It doesn't say much about a new computerised ticket system if it can't have
as many variations as the old paper ticket system does it?

2. These daily cards you talk about putting on in advance - what if I need
a 1-6 one day and 1-4 another? How would this be dealt with?

Umm , you pick what you think you'll need on the ticket machine screen in
advance. The tickets wouldn't be dated in advance however and if the
furthest zone you travel to one day is zone 4 then next day it removes a
zone 4 daily , if you go to zone 6 then next day it removes a zone 6. Simple.

3. When you look at all the combinations and that people will want to pay
the minimum fare every time, it starts getting complex and with the Evening
Standard out there, it has to be right first time. Hence the capping, etc.
hasn't come in yet

Its not complex , compared to what a lot of other computer systems (eg
point of sale, airline booking systems) have to deal with its a piece of ****.
I wish I only had to deal with half a dozen simple ticket types and fares on
the system I'm involved with at the moment.

B2003