Old August 14th 04, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Many Birds with One Stone

In message , at 15:45:11 on Fri,
13 Aug 2004, Annabel Smyth remarked:
Yes, it will be true for some people. But try taking a train from
Atlanta to Orlando (rather than driving). Takes 2 days via Washington!

I'm afraid those distances mean nothing to me - how long would it take
if you drove?

By highway (and the rails aren't much further, but much slower):

Atlanta to Orlando 442 miles/7hrs 8 minutes
Atlanta to Washington DC 637 miles/10hrs 5 minutes.
Washington DC to Orlando 846 miles/13hrs 10 minutes

I loved Amtrak trains when I used them, so I wouldn't actually mind 2
days, but if it's a case of "going to Birmingham by way of Bethnal
Green", then perhaps not!

It's a bit like going from Oxford to Southampton via Leeds.

Also, did I say, there's only 1 train per day? At least in the car you
can decide what time of day you want to arrive.