Old August 14th 04, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Many Birds with One Stone

In message , at
11:18:01 on Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Lance Lamboy
remarked:
Since there is no direct AMTRAK connection from Atlanta to Orlando, AMTRAK
does not appear to be the optimal choice for that trip.

Indeed, but there aren't very many other choices. I took this example
because

1) I've done Atlanta to Orlando by car, and it's further than I'd
normally want to drive.

2) I saw an advertising poster (1950's perhaps) in a museum in Atlanta
for a direct "holidaymaker" train to Florida, and Atlanta is well known
rail hub. I wondered if the journey was possible today.

The hassle of airport transfers, and very limited baggage allowance,
means I don't really regard flying as a useful alternative (not for an
internal USA holiday to somewhere within 10 hrs drive, anyway).

You can't say I didn't try other modes, I went from Atlanta to
Charleston on a tour bus (5.5hrs) but we ended up staying outside the
main city area, and rather cut off. People who had driven had much more
flexibility.

Mentioning travelling by Greyhound bus and everyone makes a face!