Old August 14th 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:52:28 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:
Richard J.:
That was probably a junction where there is a separate complete traffic
signal controlling turning traffic. In other words, you have something
like this:

Red Red
Amber Amber
Green Green-arrow

Just by the way, the analogous layout in *some* jurisdictions in
North America would use arrows for all three lights on the left-turn
signal.

Also in some parts of Europe... Spain, I think? (If you were saying
that *any* diverging route has all colours as arrows.) That would be
good here. There is a junction locally where only the right turn is
controlled - although the green is an arrow the red isn't and people
going straight on often stop or worse aren't sure whether to stop or
not. There is a sign, but nobody seems to read it.

I have a vague memory of seeing a red filter arrow in France. Quite
intuitive after you've got over the surprise.

Talking of surprise, like other people here I'd always assumed that
there was a legal difference between green and green+arrow. Oh
well...

Richard.