Old August 15th 04, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit
Mark Gibson Mark Gibson is offline

Default Many Birds with One Stone

In misc.transport.urban-transit Lance Lamboy wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:45:11 +0100, Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 at 14:02:28, Roland Perry
wrote:

Yes, it will be true for some people. But try taking a train from
Atlanta to Orlando (rather than driving). Takes 2 days via Washington!

I'm afraid those distances mean nothing to me - how long would it take
if you drove? I loved Amtrak trains when I used them, so I wouldn't
actually mind 2 days, but if it's a case of "going to Birmingham by way
of Bethnal Green", then perhaps not!

Atlanta-Washington 637 miles~1025km

Washington-Orlando 850 miles~1368km

Atlanta-Orlando 439 miles~ 706km

Since there is no direct AMTRAK connection from Atlanta to Orlando, AMTRAK
does not appear to be the optimal choice for that trip.

Especially since the cops in SC, GA, and FL are usually fairly cool.
I've been sopped doing 96 MPH when the double nickle was in effect...
the cop said "go to court, I'll help out" and then we talked about Glocks
for about half an hour. Cops have to meet their quotas, but are usually nice
people if you are nice with them. I ended up with 2 points and a $50 fine
for driving that fast there. :-)

Public transportation just doesn't work in most non-urban locales. If I need
to get to the grocery store, walking is faster than driving and taking a cab
would cost a fortune -- mass transit is not an option. (OK, I lied, I can
drive there faster, but I need the exercise...and I do walk very fast.)

--
"No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded."
-- Unknown