Old August 15th 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,misc.transport.urban-transit
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Many Birds with One Stone

Annabel Smyth wrote:

Mark Gibson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 15 Aug 2004:

I figure if they charge me $1.00 to "lease" a shopping cart, I might
as well keep it. The local Walmart doen't seem to care much when I
roll a shopping cart to where I live across the street. They just
send a cart person to pick them up every so often.

Don't you get your coin back when you return the trolley, as we do?

I'd far rather have a coin-operated trolley than a wheel-lock one, as
you can sometimes take them home, empty them, and then take them back
(or bribe a passing child with the coin).

At Sainsburys on Cromwell Road, both schemes are in operation
(coin-operated and wheel-lock). So if you try to take a trolley away
with you, it locks and you can't wheel it back to get the money back!

However, students are resourceful; when desperate a few of them will
just lift the trolley high enough over the locking area so that it
doesn't lock, et voila.

I think some years ago Sainsburys used to employ students to go round
the local area recovering trolleys that other students had nicked!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7