Old August 16th 04, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default High Street Kensington Station

Paul Weaver:
I doubt the average American has heard of Suffolk or Sussex.

John Rowland:
I suspect the average American has a Suffolk County *and* a Sussex County
within 100 miles of their home.

I was curious enough to look this up. It turns out that there is only
one area in the US that's within 100 miles of both a Suffolk County
(namely the one that forms the eastern half of Long Island) and a
Sussex County (namely the one that forms the northern tip of New Jersey.

The western arc bounding the zone runs more or less through the centers
of Atlantic City NJ, Philadelphia PA, and Allentown PA; it passes
through the Catskills and crosses the Hudson River north of Hudson NY,
and ends near the MA/CT/NY common boundary point. Scranton PA, Wilkes-
Barre PA, and Albany NY are all a bit outside the zone.

The eastern boundary arc is shorter (more of it is at sea), running from
the point mentioned above, more or less though the center of Hartford CT,
and clipping off the east end of Long Island, ending at Southampton NY.

The zone therefore includes the entire metropolitan area of New York City,
half of those of Philadelphia and Hartford, and most of the rest of New
Jersey. Probably about 10-12% of the US population.

(There is one other Suffolk County, which includes the city of Boston,
Massachusetts, but the only places that are within 100 miles of it
and Sussex County NJ are also within the area described above. There
are two other Sussex Counties; one forms the southern 1/3 of Delaware and
the other is in southeastern Virginia, a rural district south of Peters-
burg. Neither of these is near enough to a Suffolk county to matter.)

ObLondon: from Toronto's international airport you can fly nonstop to
either of two different Londons.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "These Millennia are like buses."
--Arwel Parry