Old August 17th 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
SJCWHUK SJCWHUK is offline

Default Oyster anomaly

A bit too bitter for my taste.

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
Paul Corfield wrote in message

. ..
You are forgetting that you need to record and validate and deduct
payment TODAY to demonstrate that you actually have an authority to

Why? As long as the system knows the card is valid for travel on the given
date I don't see any problems.

travel. There has to be a link to conditions of carriage and legal
entitlement to travel. There has to be consideration in return for the
right to travel.

Sorry , I've no idea what you're on about. As far as the passenger is

concerned
he would put N travelcards on his oyster and it would allow him to travel

for
N days of his choosing.

TfL and NR operators also need to be completely sure the system is not
wide open to fraudulent use.

If people are going to defraud the system then they will. IMO the part of
the system that allows yearly travelcards is going to look for more

attractive
to the hackers that something that would allow daily ones. Besides , if

you
really want to get away without paying you just push through the gates.

Its
not hard and I've had to do it occasionally when my paper ticket packed up

and
there was no one around to help.

added complexity for the system to deal with. I've been involved in
enough fares revisions in the past with the need to clearly understand
the commercial rules to appreciate that the card processing power is the
least of peoples' concerns.

Apparently passenger convenience isn't high on the list either.

B2003