Old August 17th 04, 04:10 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Boscastle

Tony Day wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 17 Aug 2004:

I think you (and just about everybody else on here) are missing the point.
If Blair is out of the country (which I assume he is), Prescott is acting
head of state. As such, it would be extraordinarily remiss if he did not
show a personal interest and concern, on the state's behalf, in any major
disaster of national significance. You would expect to see the head of state
in any other country visit such a disaster. It is NOT a political visit. If
he did not visit, he would also be criticized (rightly).

Indeed, but I have always felt so sorry for those who have suffered a
disaster and then have to smile for the cameras when a head of
government or head of state visits them.
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)