Old August 17th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Don't run Announcements

Annabel Smyth wrote:
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 16 Aug 2004:

Just one or two seats low down marked for their use and far too many
people
in need of them.

Too true! The few useful seats there available are frequently occupied
by people who could *easily* go elsewhere, but I have to ask them for a
seat, most embarrassing!

I've noticed, though, that most people will happily get up if they are
in a priority seat and someone else needs it. And I've seen someone get
up and the person they got up for firmly refuse their offer...

I offered my seat to an elderly lady on the 49* a few months ago -
"would you like to sit down?" (said as I was getting up). Reply, in a
distinctly unpleasant tone: "Of course I would! These seats aren't for
you youngsters you know!!".

It caught me quite off-guard and I've been much more hesitant about
offering seats to people since that. Actually I tend to just stand now
anyway, especially on the tube.

* Incidentally, the 49 is desperately in need of double deckers! It's
jam-packed for large portions of the day, as has the 328 been when I've
used it. If Ken sets up the congestion charge extension I hope he
increase frequency and/or capacity of some of these routes. The 74 gets
pretty busy now too, especially at Marble Arch towards Hyde Park Corner
(already run with double deckers).

And as for the C1... despite its tortuous route, it's incredibly popular
between South Kensington and Victoria (via Knightsbridge and Sloane
Square!!) and the tiny Optares just can't cope. Double deckers would be
reasonably well-used on this part of the service, let alone single deckers.

I'd advocate a couple of new routes between South Kensington and
Victoria and appropriate onward destinations at each end, via
Knightsbridge and Hyde Park Corner or via Sydney Street and then the 11
route.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7