Old August 19th 04, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Alistair Bell Alistair Bell is offline

Default Efficient Terminal Layouts (was Diesel Electric Trains on CrossRail)

(James) wrote in message . com...
Thanks, David. I've managed to find the relevant thread on SubTalk:

http://talk.nycsubway.org/perl/read?subtalk=713864

:-( I go away for two weeks, then SubTalk's down when I get back!!!

"David Fairthorne" wrote in message .cable.rogers.com...
Excellent answer, James.

The station that you describe in Sao Paolo is Cornithians-Itaquera on line
3.

What immediately springs to mind is that this looks very much like
Morden station. Of course, right now Morden is operated as a
three-track terminus that happens to have tracks continuing past the
platforms to the depot, but it could easily be set up this way -- all
the trackage to do it is in place. And unless I misremember, it is one
of the highest-frequency termini on the system (something like 23 tph
off-peak and probably more in the peak).

You'd have stepping-back issues and lack-of-ATO issues, but you could
easily do it with two drivers on board (one at each end) for the
reversal. And if the reversing siding (probably just one road in the
depot) is rated for passengers, you can do it even more quickly
because you don't have to check that everyone is turfed out at the
station.

What I don't know right now though is whether Morden is a bottleneck
at all, but the BAHN simulations and associated Excel spreadsheets
I've run suggest that it could well be.