Old August 19th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
James James is offline

Default Getting off at euston Now where do we go?

"Melv" wrote in message ...
Am taking the family on a day out next week from Coventry to London we will
be getting off at Euston ( I presume) What I need to know is first of all
how from there we get to Oxford st. I seem to recall last time I was there I
came out front doors went right and then left? Also from there (Oxford st)
where do I then go for all the attractions? Trafalgar square, Buckingham
palace etc. I hear they are in walking distance? Can anyone reccomend a good
site the ones I have ound dont have the info I require.
Thank you
Melv

Depends where you want to be on Oxford St. I'd get on the Northern
(Charing X) Line Southbound to Tottenham Court Rd (badly named station
of all eternity award?); then it mainly stretches westwards in front
of you. Trafalgar Sq is definitely walkable from Oxford St - walk
straight down the Charing X Rd, Wardour St, or Regent St. Buck House
is a bit of a hike, but once you're at Trafalgar Sq, it isn't too bad.

My big tip is: print off the Central London bus map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/centlond.pdf

And maybe some spider maps (as the general map can be a bit opaque to
those who don't know London well):

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/camden.shtml
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/westminster.shtml

Buses are frequent in Central London (you should see the state of them
in Surrey) and have the big advantage of not taking five minutes to
get into and out of. Avoid buses which travel ALONG Oxford St, as the
traffic simply doesn't move, as TfL in their eternal wisdom try to
operate too many buses through there.