Old August 19th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
James James is offline

Default CTRL to benefit Kent: What services?

Tom Anderson wrote in message ...
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Aidan Stanger wrote:

Alex Terrell wrote:

Alex Terrell wrote:

I also put a case for converting the Maidstone West line to
light rail, and (after A2 capacity is freed up by the opening of
the Lower Thames Crossing) taking over 2 lanes of the A2 to
extend it to Ebbsfleet.

So do you still object to my plan to use freed up A2 capacity for a
light rail line from Ebbsfleet to Cuxton, where it would join the
Maidstone line (which would also be converted to light rail).

Why would it have to be light rail, rather than a real railway?

tom

Quite. I don't know what the elevations of the lines are round there,
but it looks on the OS 1:25k map like it would be rather easy to
create a spur between Cuxton and the Chatham line before it goes over
the bridge, thus allowing a Gillingham - Paddock Wood service.