Old August 20th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mike@notigg.not.no is offline

Default Global warming (was Boscastle)

On 20 Aug 2004 07:51:53 -0700, (Boltar) wrote:

"Terry Harper" wrote in message ...
"John Rowland" wrote in message

You sound like a knowledgeable bloke, but if global warming is hokum, why
does New Scientist tell me it's real? Is this to do with research grants,
like the asteroids heading towards the Earth that the astronomers find
whenever they are trying to get increases in funding?

Global warming is real, but it's a natural phenomenon, not man-made.

Maybe it is , maybe it isn't. But do you care to explain why most climate
experts (which I'm guessing you're not) have a different point of view?
Or are they all part of some conspiracy or just plain deluded?

Also I'd love for people like you to explain how its ok to accept as a fact
that the CO2 in the air keeps the planet warmer than it would otherwise be
but when the CO2 percentage rises , well , that won't make any difference.
Right? Presumably because CO2 has some kind of magical thermal cutoff limit
that means it won't cause anymore warming beyond a certain point no matter how
much of it there is. Right? And the temperature on venus (which has a 99% CO2
atmosphere) is just a one off fluke. Right?

B2003

An additional possible problem is the lack of political will behind
motor car legislation - Only when California decided to do something
about lead in petrol did we decide we should do something as well. We
currently have something over 600% more lead in our systems than our
grandparents (TEL was introduced in about 1923).
The research I read in the 70s on lead (when I worked for a firm using
the stuff) suggested it reduces the cognitive ability and increases
agression in the subject, so we are more stroppy and less smart than
we would otherwise have been.
This is unlikely to help when sorting out the mess.