Old August 21st 04, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default North Acton petrol station rendered unviable

Hi all,

Portal Way, in the middle of the old one-way system by North Acton tube
station, opened last Sunday.

Unlike the old one-way system, which was complicated enough, the new one-way
system is too complicated to easily describe. Suffice to say that the petrol
station in front of North Acton station, which used to have most northbound
traffic and 50% of turning traffic going past it, will now have no-one going
past it, except buses, cycles, and traffic accessing a handful of buildings.
In effect, the petrol station is now on a dead end road - this must destroy
the business case for it, and I would expect it to close shortly.

The full list of traffic restrictions affecting this stretch of Victoria
Road seems unnecessarily draconian, as if they are determined to turn this
road containing nothing but industrial premises and transport cafes into a
backwater. Since the tube station is hidden behind the petrol station, I am
guessing that the plan is to drive the petrol station into bankruptcy, so
that it can be bought out more cheaply and then replaced by a bus station
and a less menacing entrance to the tube station. I wonder what has happened
or is happening behind the scenes - the owners of the petrol station must be
furious, but have they been compensated, or will they be compensated?

While I'm here, ISTR that both footpaths to the tube station contained steps
only six months ago, but now the eastern footpath is wheelchair-accessible.
Have I misremembered?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped