Old August 21st 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Lack of road markings in Kensington & Chelsea

Hi all,

I sent the following message to Kensington & Chelsea council a while back.

+++++++++++++++

At the junction of Adair Road and Appleford Road (W10) is a crossroads with
no roundabout, no stop signs, no give way signs and no dotted lines on the
road. This evening I used the junction for the first time, and came straight
through the junction in the eastbound direction at about 30 mph, since the
lack of dotted lines made me believe I had the priority. Finding myself in a
dead end, I examined the junction carefully and realised that any car going
through the junction in a north-south or south-north direction would also
believe they had the priority, and there might have been fatalities.

++++++++++++++++

Receiving no reply, I phoned them up, only to be told that it was the
council's policy not to use any road markings on quiet roads because they
thought the streets looked better without them. I drove this route yesterday
for the second time and even though I was thinking about the previous
incident, the junction sprung itself on me, and a sharp brake application
was needed to avoid driving through it at speed again.

Does anyone know if the council's policy is legal? The whole neighbourhood
seems exceptionally quiet, but this route is the only reasonable way to
avoid the banned right turn from Harrow Road to Great Western Road, so I
can't be the only non-resident to use it.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped