Old August 21st 04, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default North Acton petrol station rendered unviable

John Rowland wrote:

Hi all,

Portal Way, in the middle of the old one-way system by North Acton tube
station, opened last Sunday.

Unlike the old one-way system, which was complicated enough, the new one-way
system is too complicated to easily describe. Suffice to say that the petrol
station in front of North Acton station, which used to have most northbound
traffic and 50% of turning traffic going past it, will now have no-one going
past it, except buses, cycles, and traffic accessing a handful of buildings.

The new one-way system is as simple as the old, but with an extra link
to the north of it.

The full list of traffic restrictions affecting this stretch of Victoria
Road seems unnecessarily draconian, as if they are determined to turn this
road containing nothing but industrial premises and transport cafes into a
backwater.

Say rather, a route for some buses and cycles to avoid the one-way
system, which can be congested and is no fun to cycle round. I believe
the road past the petrol station will be narrowed somewhat. Other
vehicles benefit from the one-way loop being shorter than it was.

Since the tube station is hidden behind the petrol station, I am
guessing that the plan is to drive the petrol station into bankruptcy, so
that it can be bought out more cheaply and then replaced by a bus station

The road will take on the character of a bus interchange. I know of no
plans for a bus station.

and a less menacing entrance to the tube station. I wonder what has happened
or is happening behind the scenes - the owners of the petrol station must be
furious, but have they been compensated, or will they be compensated?

There were discussions, but I don't know the outcome.

While I'm here, ISTR that both footpaths to the tube station contained steps
only six months ago, but now the eastern footpath is wheelchair-accessible.
Have I misremembered?

The east entrance has been ramp for a year or two at least.

Colin McKenzie