Old August 22nd 04, 07:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Lack of road markings in Kensington & Chelsea

"Brimstone" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

But how can you know the junction is unmarked
until you are already passing through it?

Are you another one of these people who only looks
at what's going on six inches past their window?

No, but thanks for suggesting it.

If you try lookiing at the road ahead it is possible to see
the presence, or otherwise, of road markings and signs.

While you can certainly see whether your own road has markings at the
forthcoming junction, the presence of parked cars often prevents you from
seeing whether the side roads have markings until you are too close to the
junction to stop, even if checking side roads for markings was the only
thing on which a driver had to concentrate.

Thinking about this again, I realise that I have passed many unmarked
junctions, but they are always T-Junctions, and they are almost all in short
twisty dead end roads where I have neither the desire nor the ability to do
more than 15mph. The only exception I can think of is the Y-junction of East
View and Wyburn Avenue in Barnet, where you could easily do 30mph down
either road, but the road there is wide and devoid of parked cars, so
visibility is not a problem.

I think the problem with the Kensington one is that the council thinks it's
a T-junction because the fourth road is merely a (presumably private) drive
leading to the garages of a block of flats, but when you're approaching via
Appleford Rd it looks like you are on the main road crossing two side roads.
So it has probably slipped through the councils rules - if they thought of
it as a crossroads, I am sure they would mark which road had priority.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped