Old August 22nd 04, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Piccadilly Pilot Piccadilly Pilot is offline

Default Lack of road markings in Kensington & Chelsea

John Rowland wrote:

I think the problem with the Kensington one is that the council
thinks it's a T-junction because the fourth road is merely a
(presumably private) drive leading to the garages of a block of
flats, but when you're approaching via Appleford Rd it looks like you
are on the main road crossing two side roads. So it has probably
slipped through the councils rules - if they thought of it as a
crossroads, I am sure they would mark which road had priority.

But why does one road or the other have to have priority? I know that at
first sight it sounds perverse, but if fewer junctions had such markings
then all traffic would (apart from a few morons of course) slow down and
take care. As suggested, many people rely on the road signs etc and forget
about people emrging from the side turning whose view is blocked by vehicles
parked close to the junction.

A number of people have referred to the "give way to the right" method that
is in force in parts of Europe, Isn't it about time we had a similar "give
way to the left" rule in the UK?