Old August 22nd 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Simon Simon is offline

Default Lack of road markings in Kensington & Chelsea

Paul Weaver wrote in message ...
Theres lots of them arround Warrington, basically noone has right of way.
Of course up north people are polite and will organise themselves if more
thne 2 cars are at the junction at one time. Like Cheeky's Sister, when I
learnt I was told to treat them as give ways.

Sounds very like the 4-way stop concept in the states. All cars have
to stop and the first to arrive can continue. They take a little while
to get the hang of but then work well. Does a very good job of keeping
speeds down in residential areas. Without needing road humps and all
those other expensive measures draining the council funds. A lot of
the speed tables around me aren't that old but aren't showing signs
that they will last much longer. And I don't think the council road
budget can stretch to replacing them all soon! A few 4-way stop signs
and a single solid white line has got to be less expensive than the
semi-contruction methods used here - ( examples ...
http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/Transport...m/calmhome.htm )

I also recall a TV program about traffic calming where the following
theory was discussed - that having lots of white line markings, sign
posts and build-outs/chicanes was not the most effective approach to
traffic calming. A better way was to have no roads markings at all.
One village, can't recall where is it, had done this and the result
was a marked reduction in average speeds. With no lines on the road,
especially in the centre, drivers were a lot more cautious. But with
lots of lines marking out routes they feel they have a safe corridor,
even though it might wobble around a bit, and can charge on. Also a
barage of road signs only serves to distract drivers from observing
the natural hazzards and cues that good drivers look for.

All well and good. but the original posters situation does sound
dangerous. If a junction is different from the others around it, thats
asking for trouble. Would be good to see a digital photo of the
junction in question.

Si